Lab Reading List
[This page is still a work in progress]
The lab reading list provides a starting point for new Weecologists to become familiar with the types of questions, projects, and perspectives of the lab. Every topic contains an overview paper (i.e. if there’s only one paper you read on a topic, read that one) and several “deep-dive” papers. Every new member to the lab should read all the overview papers for all the topics and the deep-dive papers for the projects relevant to them (especially if they are funded off a grant working in that area).
If you are off campus, you may need to use the VPN into the UF network to access papers (if you need to install the VPN).
- Overview paper: Brown, J. H. 1998. The desert granivory experiments at Portal. Pages 71–95 in W. J. Resetarits and J. Bernardo, editors. Experimental Ecology. Oxford University Press, New York
- Desert Natural History: Brown, J. H., O. J. Reichman, and D. W. Davidson. 1979. Granivory in Desert Ecosystems. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 10:201–227
- Rodent community change: Ernest, S. K. M., J. H. Brown, K. M. Thibault, E. P. White, and J. R. Goheen. 2008. Zero Sum, the Niche, and Metacommunities: Long-Term Dynamics of Community Assembly. American Naturalist 172:E257–E269
- Rodent impact on plants: Valone, T. J., and M. R. Schutzenhofer. 2007. Reduced rodent biodiversity destabilizes plant populations. Ecology 88:26–31
- Data Management Pipeline: Yenni, G. M., E. M. Christensen, E. K. Bledsoe, S. R. Supp, R. M. Diaz, E. P. White, and S. K. M. Ernest. 2019. Developing a modern data workflow for regularly updated data. PLOS Biology 17:e3000125
- Overview paper: Dietze, M. C., A. Fox, L. M. Beck-Johnson, J. L. Betancourt, M. B. Hooten, C. S. Jarnevich, T. H. Keitt, M. A. Kenney, C. M. Laney, L. G. Larsen, H. W. Loescher, C. K. Lunch, B. C. Pijanowski, J. T. Randerson, E. K. Read, A. T. Tredennick, R. Vargas, K. C. Weathers, and E. P. White. 2018. Iterative near-term ecological forecasting: Needs, opportunities, and challenges. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences:201710231